Sandi Licking, Client Solutions Manager
AAM's Circ 101 columns focus on foundational knowledge to help you understand and analyze print and digital circulation. In previous columns, we've defined the various terms you may come across when reviewing news media circulation such as paid, business/traveler, and qualified nonpaid. In this column, you'll learn about the types of programs news media organizations may use to generate paid individual subscription circulation. This is not an all-inclusive list; you can review our paid promotions guide for more definitions and examples of circulation programs.
A combination sale is when two or more differently priced publications are sold together. These can be newspapers or magazines. The newspaper circulation is reported as paid individual subscriptions in AAM data if:
- The selling price of the combination package is at least one cent per subscription, net of considerations.
- Each publication in the package is available for sale separately in the marketplace.
- None of the included publications are stated or implied as free.
|Buy a one-year, 7-day subscription to both The Gazette and The Journal for the low price of only $100!
___ Sign me up for a one-year subscription to The Gazette and The Journal for only $100!
|Buy a one-year, 7-day subscription to The Gazette (7-day) and to Best Ever Magazine (12 issues) for the low price of only $100!
___ Sign me up for a one-year subscription to The Gazette (7-day) and Best Ever Magazine (12 issues) for only $100!
Premium programs are when the consumer is offered a gift for purchasing a subscription such as a free item or a discount. You can read more about what is and is not a premium in AAM’s paid promotions guide. Subscriptions sold with a premium attached are eligible to be counted as paid individual subscriptions if the following qualifications are met:
- The promotional materials include the subscription term and frequency.
- The purchase price is the full value of the premium offered, plus an additional one cent.
|Subscribe to one year of The Gazette at regular price and get a Great Buy gift card worth up to $100!
YES, sign me up or renew my 7-day subscription today!
_____ 3 months @ $35.00 - get a $30 gift card.
_____ 6 months @ $65.00 - get a $60 gift card.
_____ 1 year @ $105.00 - get a $100 gift card.
Subscriptions Sold with Other Services
Newspaper subscriptions included with other services such as cable television, Internet or phone are counted as paid individual subscriptions if the following items are met:
- The consumer opts to receive the subscription.
- The consumer is also offered the service for purchase without the subscription.
- The cost of the service by itself is less than the cost of the service with the newspaper.
- The invoice for the service includes the price of the subscription listed separately from other items.
- The subscription is not implied as free.
|Sign up for Direct Digital Cable Today!
Sign up for Direct Digital Cable today for only $29.99 per month and get a 7-day Illinois Today subscription for only an additional penny per month. That's $30 for both cable and the newspaper!
|Contract for Direct Digital Cable
_____ Yes! I want to add a 7-day subscription to Illinois Today for only an additional 1¢ per month.
|Monthly Billing Statement for Direct Digital Cable Service (portion)
Illinois Today Subscription.....$00.01
Taxes, Fees, etc......$ 5.00